Wednesday

My faith in humanity......took a tumble.

I honestly do not understand the capacity people have to be cruel. I really don't. And despite my best effort to have faith in humanity and try to see the best in people, I have taken a tumble.

I'm a bleeding heart. I know that. I want to be Super Woman & save everyone and everything if it is within my power to do so. The husband tells me it is one of my best qualities and that is why he loves me -- but he hurts for me when I get so caught up in something and I end up being hurt by the inconsiderate and unbelievably cruel people of this world.

Yesterday, after returning from a run with Shadow, we came upon stopped traffic, at the entrance to your neighborhood. I immediately saw the problem. A puppy wandering down the FOUR lane commuter road. Parker angled the car to the side of the road....and before it stopped I was out of the car and running to the pup. With the help of another driver I caught him and put a leash on him.

He is a (as best as I could tell) four or five month old puppy - Pit Bull Puppy. All wiggles and kisses.....and terribly frightened. Shadow was watching this from the back seat of the car - anxious and curious all at once. I wrapped up the puppy and cuddled with him on the quick drive home to put Shadow back at the house and leave again for the Vet's Office.
With a wiggling baby pup, we took off to our Vet - minutes down the street - and made arrangements for him to be picked up by Animal Control.

I named him Wiggle-Butt.
Worst thing you can do is name a puppy - because you are only going to get attached and cry when he is taken away. Lesson Learned.

But Wiggle-Butt deserved to know some kind of kindness.

He was YOUNG. VERY YOUNG.
Still had his baby teeth
Reeked of urine
Hard, crusty scars on his bottom jaw
Well fed - but legs were showing signs of poor nutrition
NO TAGS. NO MICROCHIP. NO RECORD OF OWNERSHIP.

Playing Frogger in the middle of a damn commuting road.

What is wrong with pet owners today?
No way should a baby dog have enough time to dig or escape a yard if you ARE WATCHING THEM!!!
No way should a puppy be left alone for long enough that they have the opportunity to get away. AND EVEN IF IT WAS AN ACCIDENT - why isn't he tagged. Its the damn law. Why isn't he chipped?
Why was no one looking for him?????

He ate and drank like he hadn't eaten or had water in some time. He was scared and clung to me. My heart was broken. Killed by cuteness. Broken by the sadness in his eyes.
FUCK YOU PEOPLE. Why do you do this? WHY?

I assume the worst in this area because here, Pit Bull breeding (backyard breeding) and Pit Bull fighting is RAMPANT. It is a growing problem that is overwhelming the city's animal shelters, resources, rescue organizations and available homes for these dogs.
I assume that Wiggle Butt was part of something more than a family home because in this area I'm usually right. He was not well treated, he was dirty and scarred. Not a good sign.

Above all I wished I could have taken into my home and loved him and shown him not every human is an asshole. But I couldn't. I couldn't take in this beautiful puppy, with a chance that I might not be able to keep him in the long run. Our lives, at this time, is too uncertain.
But I will keep tabs on this one. I will watch over him. I will work as hard as I can to get the word out that there is a loving and wonderful puppy looking for a forever home. I will contact rescue groups and adoption groups until he finds a responsible and loving home to call his own.

My faith in humanity is faltering. It has taken a tumble.
What the hell is wrong with people anyway?